There are organizations and communities of practice at both my local and state level that I find interesting and would love to become a part of. I have chosen the following three to share with you:
1. Youth Villages – Youth Villages is an organization that works with troubled children and families. They have different aspects of their program in which they reach out to at-risk children and families. They provide intensive in-home training, residential programs, foster care, transitional services, counseling, adoption services, and specialized crisis services. Youth Villages has locations around the United States. One of the its locations is in the area I live in.
— One job opportunity provided by Youth Villages that I take interest in is that of a science teacher. It would be a new environment to work in. I find that science can really appeal to both boys and girls in that it allows you to explore concepts with hands on learning. To be qualified for this position I would have to meet the followings requirements:
A Bachelor’s degree in education with appropriate certification is required
Active Licensure in TN with an endorsement in Science is required
A Highly Qualified teacher is strongly preferred
Experience in special education or teaching experience in a clinical environment is preferred
Experience working with at-risk youth a major plus
Experience working with youth is required
Excellent written, verbal, and oral skills
Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
Basic computer knowledge
Ability to maintain a flexible schedule
I find that most of these requirements are ones that I already have from being an early childhood teacher. Yet, it would be a difficult job to have in that it entails working with children who have severe emotional and behavioral difficulties.
2. Boys and Girls Club of Greater Memphis – This organization is part of a national organization. One of their top priorities is educational advancement. They want to prepare children to be successful and be confident in themselves. They work with lower income children and families.
Job opportunity – Educational Services Coordinator. This position would require me to oversee the educational programs offered by the Boys and Girls Club. I would plan, develop, and supervise the implementation of program activities. I would also be in charge of helping cultivate parental involvement into program activities.
This job would require me to have the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in managing programs or operations in a Youth Servicing agency
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working with Public School system
- Familiarity with After School enrichment programming
- Cultural competency in working with Latino and African-American populations
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Understanding of and sensitivity to variant family values
- Ability to lead a service collaboration team
- Ability to be “self-starter” and work with minimal supervision required
- Strong organizational skills required
- Strong technical and reporting skills required
- Bilingual/bicultural abilities (English/Spanish) desired
- Physically able to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations.
This would be a very different job for me in that instead of teaching curriculum I would be over developing and training staff to teach curriculum. It would be interesting to be on the other side of things.
3. Kumon Learning center – This is much like a Sylvan Learning Center.I am interested in this organization because I struggled with math skills as a child. My parents were always looking for someone who could help me in Math. but had a hard time finding a tutor. This type of organization would have been very helpful to me as a child and could have made me more confident. Kumon offers tutoring help in both Reading and Math from the elementary to high school level. Each of the staff members is trained and certified in the area in which they provide tutoring.
One job opportunity I found was the Center Director. The Center Director is responsible for
Qualifications for this position include the following:
Bachelor’s Degree. Education related major preferred.
Full-time Teaching and/or Corporate Training as well as Retail experience a plus
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral, with adults and children
Strong computer skills
Strong Math and Reading aptitude
Commitment to making a difference in the community and belief in the importance of education
Ability to work afternoons/early evenings. (3-4 times/week)
I think it would be necessary to be an effective communicator and strong leader to have this position. I have always worked directly with children so I find this job opportunity to be interesting. Although it would be very different than what I am used to it would be a good experience to have.